Fifteen UMass students remain displaced from their off-campus housing after a porch collapsed during a party over the weekend. Investigators say a combination of rotting wood and the weight of so many students caused that porch to collapse.
[READ MORE: Porch collapses, paramedic assaulted during first official UMass weekend] Students Western Mass News spoke with who lived inside the Fearing Street home said the locks have been changed and they’re not allowed back in because its not safe. The multi-family house which is owned by Eagle Crest Property Management had four rental units. The porch was part of the house’s fire escape, and when the first floor portion of it collapsed on Friday night, several students fell almost ten feet, and a propane gas line was also ruptured. Luckily, there were no reported injuries. Records obtained by Western Mass News found that the property passed inspection on March 15 of this year. That inspection found that the fire escape was structurally sound. Rob Morra, the Building Commissioner for the town of Amherst, told Western Mass News off-camera that at this time the property manager is not going to be fined. Investigators are going to be doing a structure analysis on the house in hopes of stabilizing it and making it safe for students to live inside again. Its not known when those students will be able to get back into the house, but in the meantime they are all staying at a hotel in Hadley.
Copyright 2018 Western Mass News (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.